This presentation at the Mobile Game Forum Asia looks at 10 evolving and emerging game design trends from Asia through to the West. They are:
1/ the rise of idle tap clicker games
2/ auto-play and where it goes
3/ games as spectator sport - esports
4/ adaptive pricing and balancing
5/ smarter live ops tied to monetization
6/ classic genres adapted smarter to mobile
7/ extending meta gameplay
8/ subscription and VIP programs
9/ faster player feedback and art a/b testing
10/ life beyond the RPG bloodbath
10 Mobile Game Design & Monetization Trends into 2017
Playing for Keeps
10 Trends in Game Design
Game Designer, CEO
● Hong Kong studio
● 3D lifestyle games
● 30 million downloads
● Profitable & growing
1/ Money for nothing...
● Rise of idle tap games
● Remind you of anything?
● Low barrier “gameplay” & light meta strategy
Adventure Capitalist Tap Titans Tap Tap Trillionaire
2/ Won’t you play for me?
● Auto-play is increasingly important
● Grinding with less “grind”
● Opportunity for monetization & strategy…
● Parallels to classic pc games
Game of Dice Pokemon ComastersSummoners War
3/ Feed the fame monster...
● eSports on mobile is breaking out
● Games as spectator sport, as TMZ
● How to recreate the Instagram like / reply
Clash Royale Gods of Olympus
4/ The computers take over…
● Adaptive pricing is a reality
● Challenge is in balancing
● We’ll see an evolution from none -> manual ->
A/B test -> machine learning / AI
Zynga / Natural Motion GLUZeptolab
5/ I got what you need...
● Deeper linking of live-ops & monetization
● Content & increasingly gameplay
Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes
6/ Bring it back!
● Classic / genres being adapted to mobile
● If you don’t someone else will
Supertribes Robocide Lifeline
7/ We need to go… deeper
● Layer gameplay from minutes to multi-years
● Community is enabler…
...AND the result
Credit - Tony Sala
8/ Gift You Tomorrow!
● Subscription models are more accepted
● Increasing retention is the key
Clash of KingsMarvel Future Fight
9/ Give them what they want
● Earlier and faster player input
● Save time and increase monetization
10/ Life beyond RPG?
● New lifestyle genre
○ Make friends, entertain, flirt, tell stories, compete,
gossip, help, console, trick, honor, express self, create...
It’s a great time for mobile games!