Leveraging SMEs’ Strength
Software Development Off-the-Shelf Products Training and Support
The Data eXchange Company
INSPIRE at Snowflake
• Create INSPIRE data
• Share INSPIRE data
• Load INSPIRE data
• Let us do it for you
• INSPIRE Essentials
• Data Modelling
What I want to talk about...
• New initiatives
• INSPIRE puts data sharing and open
standards on agenda with data providers
• Growing realisation that data is an asset
• INSPIRE is actually being implemented
across Europe; no more paper tiger
• INSPIRE is often perceived as
technological problem, not as an
opportunity for innovation.
• SMEs are agile by nature and are close to
their customers making them ideal to
• Training and knowledge sharing on
technical and management level still
• Other domains adopting INSPIRE-like
initiatives, eg. Single European Sky and
• Long implementation timescales causing
– Data providers to wait with implementation
– Upfront investment and uncertain long-term
revenues for SMEs
• Current tendering procedures not
beneficial for SMEs
• Governments competing with businesses
• Perceived complexness by data providers
• EU not leading by example...yet
Leading by example
96% of open datasets from
just a single organisation
(<2% from EEA)
Leading by example
Wide variety of data
• European Location Framework
– Technical infrastructure which delivers
authoratative, interoperable, cross-border
geospatial reference data.
– Development of sensor-based Citizens'
Observatory Community for improving quality of
life in cities.
• UK Open Data Institute
– Catalyst for the evolution of an open data culture
in the UK.
“If you can dream it, you can do it.”
• Innovative data providers
– More than just opening up datasets
• Innovative technology providers
– More than just selling software licences
– More than just ticking the INSPIRE-box
• INSPIRE can be a driver for open data
• INSPIRE is not a technological problem
requiring a single software solution
• SMEs have an intimate understanding of
their customers and their culture. Use it!
• SMEs are agile and innovative, because it
is in their DNA.
Learn more? Talk to me.