Paññāsāstra University of Cambodia
Lecturer: Thun Bunthoeun
Subject: ASEAN Governments, Politics and Economics
Room: Hall A (Friday: 2:00-5:00pm)
Topic: Why Cambodia Poor Education Challenges For ASEAN Integration?
Group Number 8
Hor Monysopheak 35308
Van Modavin 61277
Khon Khoun 77937
Seng Sobunna 48817
San Saron 78133
Sim Sopheak 79586
Phav Laksarint 81652
Academic Year, 2016
a. What is Education ?
b. What is ASEAN Integration ?
II. Situation of Education in Cambodia and Singapore
III. The Weakness of Cambodia Education
Education is very important means to train and build up human resources for
development the country. However, educational system in Cambodia has suffered
too much during Khmer Rouge Regime from 1975 to 1979.
After that period, the government has tried to improve it by cooperated and
collaborated with external aid and non-governmental organization (NGOs).
This education effort led to Cambodia being awarded two grants from the Global
Partnership for Education Fund. The first grant was an amount of 57.4 million US
dollars in 2008 and the second grant was an amount of 38.5 million US dollars in
What is education?
A form of learning in which the knowledge, skills, and habits
of a group of people are transferred from one generation to
the next through teaching, training, or research
Education is the act or process of imparting knowledge, especially at school, college,
Education is the ability to read and write letters, and the term that provides people
knowledge and skills.
Education is not getting a good grade without knowledge, a person who has
education is determined that they’re aware of things surrounding and know what is
right or wrong. Moreover, education plays a very important role in everyone’s life.
The education is important in promoting ASEAN social and economic development
and the building of a strong ASEAN community
(A step closer to one economic community)
In Southeast Asia, the 10-member ASEAN has been moving toward the united
community so-called ASEAN Community 2015 under a slogan “one vision, one
identity, one community”
The three main pillars of the ASEAN Community are :
the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC),
ASEAN Political-Security Community and
the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community. Currently, efforts are focused on establishing the AEC.
ASEAN member will get the benefit from ASEAN integration:
AWESOME TOURIST DESTINATIONS
GET THAT COMPETITIVE EDGE
CREATION OF INTERNATIONAL NETWORK
NUMEROUS JOB OPPORTUNITIES
MAKE THE MOST OUT OF YOUR MONEY
II. Situation of Education in Cambodia
Quality of Education
- Teaching materials are faced in those schools because not only in
the rural but also in the urban there are not enough materials for
teachers to teach
- Teaching and learning materials are not good quality, and students
are lack of learning material
- In Cambodia teachers still use black board with chalk for teaching
and Singapore equips the digital whiteboard in the class with the
- In Cambodia not all students have textbooks for use sometimes
they share each other and students in Singapore can access easily
the resource from the digital media and the Internet.
- The process of teaching and learning in Cambodia is very slow if
we compare to Singapore.
- In the rural area of Cambodia, students’ study time is short and not
complete in the school year.
- some teachers don’t have commitment to teach their students
because of low salary
Quality of Education
- The Singapore math curriculum has been exported to
countries such as Japan and Israel, and has been available in
the United States since 1998.
- A teaching material is a teaching resource developed by
teacher training department with the intention of creating
- A teaching materials often include many resources, such as
an educators’ guide, a CD-ROM with works of art and
primary sources (letters, maps, and period photographs),
overhead transparencies, posters, curricula, and step-by-step
- Available featured products for students such as Magna-
Tiles, Daily Schedule Chart, Reusable Write and Wipe
Picket, All about Today Activity Center, Write and Wipe
Alphabet Practice Cards, Super-Fun Marble Run, Best-Buy
Play Food Assortment, Help-Yourself Book Boxes,
- Many resources are available for teachers to support their
teaching such as lesson plan, crafts and activities, pintables,
writing practice, award maker, flash cards, word search,
calendars, templates and clip art, e-cards, outdoor learning.
Students’ learning outcome
would be success with the good
quality from these kinds of
useful, helpful and attractive
III. The weakness of Cambodia education
1) Enabling equitable access for all to education services
2) Enhancing the quality and relevance of learning
3) Ensuring effective leadership and management of education
staff at all levels
Cambodia students fear losing jobs in ASEAN integration
Our education systems: Cambodian students have less
We don’t have many institutes to provide vocational skills
The abilities of foreign languages, job specific task, and
Cambodia economy is concentrated on narrow base
Loss of import revenues when tariff reduce to 0%
1. Developed a monitoring and evaluating system to measure outcomes of the
2. Improved task implementation and responsibility of schools, teachers, and
students through the monitoring and evaluation of student’s learning achievement,
and providing timely support Quality assurance
3. Developed education quality assurance and quality standards in teacher training
4. improved curriculum at all levels and provided textbooks.
5. Developed the capacity of teachers and school principals by providing training.
6. Promoted quality improvements in reading and writing at Grades 1, 2 and
3.through provision of an early grade reading program.
7. Supported technical assistance to schools by the district training and monitoring
8. Used information technology to promote education and life-long learning.
9. Piloted full day teaching and learning programs in target primary schools.
The Royal Government of Cambodia values “human capital” development greatly. This is
demonstrated by increasing the budget for education in 2014 to motivate and develop
teachers’ capacity and to ensure equitable access to good quality education. With help
from the private sector, support from development partners, and funding from the Global
Partnership for Education will be used effectively in order to contribute to achievement of
EFA goals. At the same time, the MoEYS needs to prepare young people to enable them to
take full benefit from both ASEAN integration and global opportunities by focusing on
development of key skills which include literacy, numeracy, science, arts and critical