What do I know ?
• I must eat all kinds of food to be strong and
• The body needs energy to work . Food items rich
in carbohydrates and fats provide energy to the
• Proteins present in certain food items help my
body to grow and repair damaged parts .
• Water is important for the body .
• The food that we eat every day makes up our
• All these foods have nutrients present in them
• Nutrients are useful substances present in our
food which our body needs .
• There are many types of nutrients .
Types of nutrients
• The types of nutrients are :
What is a balanced diet ?
• A daily diet should provide all the nutrients in
the right amount . Such a diet is called a
balanced diet .
• A balanced diet helps you to grow , function
properly and remain healthy .
Carbohydrates and fats
Carbohydrates and fats
• Carbohydrates and fats provide energy which is
used for all the functions of the body .
• The more physically active you are the more
energy you need .
• All healthy children are physically active and
hence need energy-rich food .
• Till the age of 18 or 20 you’re body grows and
you will need many protein-filled foods .
• Proteins help your body to grow and also in
healing injured parts .
Vitamins and minerals
• A balanced diet should have a good supply of
vitamins and minerals .
• They help your body to fight diseases and
remain healthy .
• They also help the body to perform all the
functions and properly and grow well .
• Vitamin A is needed for growth and repair of
bones , teeth and skin .
• It also helps in proper functioning of the eyes .
• A few foods that are rich in vitamin A are :
• Vitamin C helps in formation of blood , healing
of wounds and keeps the gums healthy .
• A few foods which are rich in vitamin C are :
• Vitamin D is needed for the proper growth of
• This vitamin is also made in the body with
the help of sunlight .
• Milk and milk products contain vitamin D .
• Calcium is the most plentiful mineral in the
• Milk and milk products as cheese and
buttermilk are rich in calcium .
• Fish , dry beans , wheat and nuts are good
sources of calcium .
• Calcium helps your body in building strong
bones , teeth and muscles .
• It is a body-building mineral .
• It is also needed in the formation of blood .
• Iron is part of your blood .
• It is needed by your body to make food .
• Food items like fish , liver , apples , beans ,
walnuts , cashew nuts , groundnuts , eggs and
green-leafy vegetables such as spinach are rich
in iron .
• Fibre should form an important part of your
diet because it helps to carry waste material
out of the body .
• All kind of fruits , vegetables and seeds have
fibre in them .