The purpose of collecting data is to use data. Good data visualization should be interactive, multidimensional, and visually efficient. If it meets these characteristics, it can communicate not just what happened in training but can help demonstrate the outcomes and insights of why it matters to leadership.
This presentation was shared at Learning Solutions in Orlando on March 21, 2017.
We visualize data so that we
can literally see patterns.
So what qualities make a
visualization good for data
Let the user ask questions.
● When you’re designing the interface, consider how users
will be able to ask questions.
● Build interaction tools directly into the visual display where
possible; intuitive interaction allows for more fluid
Help the user see relationships
between different variables.
● Consider the visual space and all the visual dimensions
you can use to convey information.
● Color, shape, size, spatial organization, line thickness,
hover / interactive detail.
3. Visually Efficient
Use visualization types that match
your data sets.
● A good visualization conveys information in a dramatically
smaller footprint than the same data presented tabularly.
● Different graph types imply different kinds of relationships
– use the ones that work with your data, not against it.
Help people answer questions. Give them the
tools to discover patterns in their people data.
Use your data.
Get others involved. Use these as guiding
principles to design yours – or use ours.
Make people care.
Sign up for LRS:
Email me for access to demo:
Yet Analytics xAPI LRS
Interactive viz tools:
● This is every active satellite orbiting earth
● Best American Infographics 2014, 2015
● Design for Information
● Visual Complexity: Mapping Patterns of
Yet Analytics • yetanalytics.com
Experience Intelligence in Human Capital