The quality of the call has a direct impact on the customer experience. Many companies do not even have any idea how the quality of the calls is affecting their bottom line. This results in customers getting irritated and chances are they might not come back to you.
21 Best Practices for Effective Call Quality Monitoring
21 Best Practices for
Effective Call Quality
• With the help of quality monitoring, it becomes easy to identify
possible issues which can cause poor customer experience.
• The data collected can end up making several enhancements which
not only benefits the company but also the agents and the customers.
• Monitoring enables managers to maintain quality standards and
compliance, improve customer experience and develop the overall call
Call Monitoring Best Practices
Set Clear & Well-Defined
Use Call Center Management
Always Take Feedbacks
Spend Good Amount of Time
Use Collected Data for
Explain its Importance to
Select Random Call Recordings
Focus on Details
Employ Trained Agents
Always Compare Your
Track the Activities
Start a Forum
Use Gathered Data
Recognize the Agent’s Efforts
Keep Updating Your Script
Avoid Burnout Among Agents
Always Check Effectiveness of
Make Quality Monitoring a
Reasons to Use Specialized SoftwareCall Monitoring Best Practices
1. Set Clear & Defined Goal
• Try to understand why you must implement a quality assurance process
and what operational changes you hope to achieve with it.
• Quality programs should not be merely about call recording
and evaluation forms.
• Instead, view it as a set of objectives which can help in achieving the goals
of the company.
2. Use Call Center Management Software
• You will certainly benefit from the use of call center management
• You could even start with something that is low-tech.
• After all, even basic quality monitoring activities is going to be beneficial.
• For example, you can make use of a spreadsheet.
3. Always Take Feedbacks
• Monitoring is useless without feedback.
• However, you must ensure that the feedback is entirely objective.
• You should be using an assessment and scoring method which is not only fair
but also one that has been agreed by all relevant parties beforehand.
• Sure, it should also be regular.
• There are quite a few ways in which the feedback can be delivered.
• Whatever be the method chosen, the fact remains that individuals should be
able to make their own contributions to the arguments.
4. Spend Good Amount of Time Monitoring
• By spending more time on it, quality monitoring will end up
improving the quality of the calls and the excellence of customer
• This, in turn, will have a direct effect on the really important details such
as customer retention levels and sales.
5. Use Collected Data for Training
• The data gathered from quality monitoring should be put into use in the
training and the coaching of your employees.
• Otherwise, there is really no point to tracking the quality.
• However, you should be putting in adequate time and effort into the creation
of a training program that actually help the agents.
• They should gain the expertise that is needed to provide better services.
6. Explain Its Importance to Agents
• The agents will be the ones with the utmost impact on the success of the
quality monitoring programs.
•However, they may feel that the programs are out to find out their mistakes.
• As such, you should be altering the monitoring program into a collaborative
process by getting the agents involved in it.
• They should know that the program is meant to help them improve
7. Select Random Call Recordings
• You should undoubtedly opt for random samples for quality monitoring.
• Simultaneously, implement steps for evaluating high value calls.
• This way, you get a better understanding of the performance of your
agents when valuable customers are being assisted.
• Finally, these calls can give you with helpful factors which can be used for the
overall improvement of the calls.
8. Perform Calibration
• Calibration should be performed often as it will ensure that the feedback is
consistent, reliable and unbiased.
• With the help of calibration, you can ensure that the quality
monitoring program, scorecards and analysts are attuned.
• It will also provide thorough strategies for improvement while providing
solutions for poor performances.
9. Focus on Details
• During quality monitoring, keep a tab on the minute details such as the
greetings used by the agents and following the allocated call structure.
• Like this, you will be able to make sure that bad habits are not becoming a
part of the agent’s routines.
• You will be able to ensure that the high standards you have put in place are
10. Employ Trained Agents
• Despite getting good call center software solutions, you should think
about hiring a dedicated person trained in quality monitoring.
• If your company is sufficiently large, you may want to hire a specialist team
• In the end, your supervisors are liable for overseeing the operations.
• If they are in charge of quality monitoring as well, their efficiency is bound
to be affected and you will be unable to reach the desired results from quality
11. Always Compare Your Performance
• It is a good idea to get your performance compared to the competition.
• After all, internal quality monitoring provides you with a pretty one-
sided picture and that might end up misleading you.
• If you want results, you should compare the results with others.
• To do so, you can consider hiring an external agency for quality monitoring so
as to get the best picture on your performance.
12. Track The Activities
• When monitoring the call quality, it helps to define a set of criteria on which the
quality will be calculated.
• Cloud call center software solutions and agents can collectively be used
to track some of the criteria.
• After all, you do not want them to feel that they are being forced to follow a new
set of rules.
• By getting them involved in this process, they become more open to ensuring
that the criteria are taken care of.
13. Start a Forum
• Consider setting up a call quality forum.
• This can be useful in reaching a consensus on the best possible quality of
• The stakeholders need to reach an agreement as to what elements result in the
quality of the call being good.
• You can include these elements as the criteria in the monitoring processes.
• This way, your monitoring team can achieve the objectivity that is vital for your
14. Use Gathered Data
• With the help of call center software, you can gather a lot of information.
• As such, you need to make the most of them to get the best results.
• However, you should not just concentrate on monitoring calls.
• Instead, you should measure process which affect the wider areas of your
business and use the information gathered to improve them.
15. Recognize Agent’s Efforts
• Quality monitoring is not just about ensuring that your agents are following
the best practices.
• It is also about recognizing those that do follow such practices.
• As such, take steps to reward and recognize the agents who have provided the
customers with exceptional service.
• You can award them excellent certificates or mention them in your newsletter
or site among other things.
16. Keep Updating Your Script
• You will have to consider some basic elements such as the script.
• Check the scripts and work on them till you manage to improve the results.
• You should make sure that the words present in the scripts have been taken
into account in your call monitoring processes.
17. Assign Ownership
• Assign ownership of the quality as early as possible.
• After all, someone needs to be responsible for auditing and calibrating the
quality so as to ensure its effectiveness.
• The person will also make sure that the processes are improved upon and
modified as per the changing needs of the process.
• In the same way, you must make sure that there is a well-defined
process for the evaluation of the calls.
• All stakeholders must be familiar with the various areas of quality monitoring.
18. Avoid Burnout Among Agents
• You should avoid letting it become a source of stress for the agents.
• As such, opt for solutions which can record the call without being prominent
• In fact, it is best if the recording happens in the background so that it does not
any impact on the performance or the behavior of the agent.
19. Always Check Effectiveness of Training
• Simply creating a training program is not going to be enough.
• Apart from monitoring the quality of the calls, you must also check the
effectiveness of the training you provide.
• The solution being used for the call monitoring can also be used to check how
much your training program has had an impact on the agents’performance.
• You can find out whether the things taught in the training sessions are being used
by the agents.
• You also discover if there are any gaps in the training program.
20. Do Self-Assessment
• Enable your agents to assess at least some parts of their work and you may
actually get valuable data about the quality of the calls.
• Moreover, the agents will feel that their input is given due value by the
• You will also be showing that the team ethos is actually inclusive instead of
21. Make Quality Monitoring a Habit
• Quality monitoring should become a habit.
• It is not something that you take note of on an occasional basis.
• Instead, it should be performed regularly.
• This way, you can get an idea of how the performance has been affected over a
period of time.
• You will also be ensuring that the agents do not get complacent about their
• This can be as important as checking for call center software pricing.