Clay Shirky, noted US writer about all things online and digital, is, of course, a best-selling author. I bet his publisher doesn’t just push a button . . .
To remind audience that the mandate is Part I statistical data only.No mandate or commitment on publicationsWe will continue to sell, including statistical data servicesPublishing Policy is unchanged save for the commitment that 100% of Part I data be freely available in basic form
Key message: Delta continues the existing practice of stepping up the value chain to find revenues and using these revenues to build improved free services to non-subscribers.This is why Freemium model can work: As new needs emerge, new, innovative, premium services are provided generating the revenues to enable mature services to become free.
Key message: Delta continues the existing practice of stepping up the value chain to find revenues and using these revenues to build improved free services to non-subscribers.
Analytical content: 100% freeFull ‘Read’ service on iLibrary and oecd.org (now available on mobile devices)Full ‘Read’ service on Google BooksAll declassified documents free on oecd.orgData: 70% free, includingAll core indicators and data: Factbook, At a Glance, Key TablesThe most popular data from all OECD databasesNB The remaining 30% data is highly specialized. The consultant’s report concluded that making it free would represent only a marginal increase in use and impact (less than 1% of today’s free data)Dissemination figures2.4 million1.6 new revenue800k efficiencies
Freemium publishing - OECD case study. SSP 2013
Freemium AccessPublishingCase Study: OECDToby GreenHead of Publishingtoby.firstname.lastname@example.org
OECD’s publishing policyMAXIMISEDISSEMINATION(everything has to be free)FULLCOST RECOVERY(everything needs to be priced)$16.5M
OECD’s Mission (and target audiences)Wordle of OECD’s MissionSource: www.oecd.org
have different contexts• Home or SME or mobile• Occasional, low intensity• No or low desire for added-value services• Institution, desk-bound• High intensity, re-use• Opportunity for value-addedsupport and services
Readers’ and institutional needs aremulti-faceted and evolvingNeedsTimePREMIUMRead on PCSaveoffline, copy-pasteEnhanceddiscoveryDownload associateddata (StatLinks)Citation tools,Text miningBasicdiscoveryRead ontabletsSave ininformation managementsystems (e.g. Mendeley)Share, EmbedValueSupport forlibrariesFREESimpleComplexFREEMIUM
FREEMIUM means we can maximisedissemination (more people read our stuff!)8-2,0004,0006,0008,00010,00012,0002005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012Sold FreeIn 2012, 10 out of 12accesses werefree of chargeDownloads(‘000s)MAXIMISEDISSEMINATION