1.Owing to : because of
• Ex: The concert was cancelled owing to lack of
• 2. cause (n) reason
• Ex: He’s never given me any cause for concern.
• 3. deteriorate (v) become worse
• Ex: She was taken to hospital last week when
her condition suddenly deteriorated.
• 4. counteract (v) reduce or remove the effect
of sth unwanted by producing the opposite
• Ex: Drinking a lot of water counteracts the
dehydrating effects of hot weather.
• 5. sedentary (adj) involving little exercise and
• EX : My doctor days I should start playing
sports because my lifestyle is too sedentary.
• Tobacco is a kind of drug. People have been
free to use it. Some people think that it
should be illegal to use it comparing with
other drugs. To what extent do you agree or
disagree? What is your opinion?
• Every year, thousands of people worldwide die
from both smoking tobacco and involuntarily
breathing it in. Despite this, I do not agree
that it should be made illegal. However, I also
believe that there should be a regulation on
its use, considering its harms to health. In the
following paragraphs, I shall put forth my
arguments to support my views.
Body paragraph 1
• It is irrefutable that tobacco products, especially
cigarettes, could cause lung cancer, heart disease,
and other illnesses. Drug abuse also has many
potentially harmful effects not only on individuals
but also on family, friends, work and society.
Frequent drug users may turn to crime to meet
the increasing expense for their habit. Continued
drug use may cause personality changes. Some
users lose interest in school or work, or have
difficulty meeting the responsibilities of a job or
Body paragraph 2
• Nonetheless, it costs society far more to prohibit a
drug than it does to regulate it. And I’m not talking
about just money. Prohibition creates organized crime,
and with it you get street wars, and police corruption.
With more violence comes more police, and that
means more cost. Regulation on the other hand, works
quite well. The government should decide who gets to
make it, who sells it, and who it is sold to. There should
be controls on tobacco regarding potency, packaging,
advertising, and a lot of other things. This is definitely
better than banning a drug which leads to organized
Body paragraph 3
• Moreover, tobacco has long been a source of
money for the governments in many
countries. This income comes from taxes on
the manufactured products. Excise taxes also
come from tobacco that arrives from other
countries. Finally, I believe that it is better to
educate people about the harms of tobacco.
This approach has worked better in many
countries and there has been a reduction in
the sale of tobacco products
• In conclusion, I pen down saying that, banning
tobacco is not a good idea. Drug prohibition
has been the most failed social policy and
banning tobacco is a step backwards.
However, there should be control on the
manufacturing and sale of tobacco.